Saturday, May 18, 2013
The blaze was reported at 8:21 p.m. Friday with heavy fire on the first floor extending to the second floor; three units were ultimately deemed uninhabitable after multiple fire agencies helped to extinguish it.
Palatine firefighters responded to a blaze at the Lake Louise Condominiums, 516 N. Wilke Rd. Friday night, and four of its residents were unable to go back to their units after it was extinguished. Arlington Heights Fire Department was the first assisting agency on the scene, and no injuries to civilians or firefighters were sustained. The call came in at 8:21 p.m., and by 8:27 p.m., Palatine firefighters arrived to observe heavy fire on the first floor, which had extended to the second floor and into the attic above, according to a Palatine Fire Department press release. The release states firefighters had to access the roof with an aerial tower to cut a ventilation hole, to release heat, gas and smoke. Firefighters searched all of the …
Tuesday, April 30, 2013
The AHFD is continuing a 23-year tradition of raising money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association on Friday, May 3. Firefighters will be out in major intersections collecting donation. 100% of the funds raised will go to MDA.
The Arlington Heights Fire Department and the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) will be having their AHFD/MDA Boot Drive on Friday May 3. Arlington Heights firefighters will be out "Filling the Boot" to raise money for MDA at major intersections in Arlington Heights. In Arlington Heights alone, more than 30 families utilize the no-cost services provided by MDA. "These services prove to be very costly; this fundraiser helps these families who need them to be able to utilize therapies, equipment, wheelchairs, hoists and other items to help their loved ones," said Ted Peterson, MDA coordinator, and a 12-year veteran firefighter with the AHFD. Look for firefighters in bright yellow shirts with the AHFD and MDA logos on them at the …
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
The Arlington Heights Fire Department is hosting classes starting April 1 for those interested in taking Community Emergency Response Training.
Tuesday, March 26
The Arlington Heights Fire Department is hosting classes beginning April 1 for residents interested in Community Emergency Response Training (CERT). CERT educates people on disaster preparedness and how to take care of themselves and others in a disaster situation. If a disastrous event overwhelms or delays the Village’s professional response, CERT members can assist by applying the basic response and organizational skills they learned during training. The CERT Program trains participants in basic disaster response skills, such as fire safety, light search and rescue, and disaster medical operation. If you are interested in joining, the program costs $35 and is taught in the evenings of April 1, 8, 15 and Saturday April 20. Please email …
Thursday, March 21, 2013
Trustees complete final budget workshop.
Arlington Heights trustees approved police and fire budgets Wednesday, completing its budget workshops for the year. The board will vote on the final 2014 budget on April 1. Fire Chief Glenn Ericksen and Police Chief Gerald Mourning came before the board to review each department’s budget. The Arlington Heights Fire Department has a $20 million budget and the department is not asking for any additional requests despite having a busy 2012. Firefighters responded to over 10,000 emergency calls and had a response time of six minutes or less in 90 percent of structure fire calls, Ericksen said. A few highlights from the last year included reestablishing the department’s CPR classes while keeping costs down and developing an emergency …
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Arlington Heights firefighters responded to a fire at 3:14 a.m. Sunday after residents smelled smoke and called 9-1-1.
Residents living in a home in the 600 block of S. Arlington Heights are fortunate they smelled smoke and called 9-1-1 early Sunday morning. Arlington Heights Deputy Chief Ken Koeppen said the fire started in the basement laundry room just after 3 a.m. Sunday, and firefighters arrived on the scene at 3:14 a.m. The residents were evacuated and the fire department got the blaze under control by 3:30 a.m., Koeppen said. The home sustained minor smoke damage, Koeppen said, but the home was still inhabitable. The cause of the fire remains under investigation.
Thursday, December 13, 2012
The 36-year-old woman lived alone in the apartment where a fire broke out early Thursday morning at Hancock Square at Arlington Station. The cause of the fire and circumstances surrounding it remain under investigation.
A 36-year-old woman is dead after a fire broke out early Thursday morning at the Hancock Square apartment complex at Arlington Station, the Arlington Heights Police Department confirmed. The victim, Iesha Bailey, lived alone in the fourth floor apartment, according to the Chicago Tribune. The fire is believed to have begun in Baily's bedroom, according to the Chicago Tribune, but she was found unconscious and unresponsive in a separate room with no burns on her body. Firefighters reponded to a fire in a fourth floor apartment on the south side of the complex building, 299 N. Dunton Avenue, around 3:48 a.m. After forcing entry into the unit, firefighters noticed a working fire in the unit and quickly located a female who was unconscious …
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
The Arlington Heights Fire Department is raising awareness and reminding residents to address possible fire safety issues with the "Keep the Wreath Red" holiday safety program.
The Arlington Heights Fire Department is participating in the annual "Keep the Wreath Red" holiday safety program. “Keep the Wreath Red” is aimed at increasing awareness of safety while decorating for the holidays. The program works this way, each fire station in Arlington Heights displays a wreath strung with red lights and remains lit 24 hours a day during the holiday season. If a fire is determined to be caused by holiday decorations, white bulbs replace the red bulbs on the wreath. The wreath hopefully serves as a constant reminder to practice safety while displaying holiday decorations. Adopted by the Illinois Fire Chief’s Association in 1980, the campaign is aimed at reminding citizens of potential fire hazards that could exist …
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
Set to go into service in December, the Arlington Heights Fire Department received two new ambulances this month.
At $196,000 a piece, the Arlington Height Fire Department got two new ambulances this month. The two IHC 4300/Medtec ambulances are the village’s first Type I ambulances. “It’s a little bit larger so there is more room to work on patients in the rear,” Arlington Heights fire chief Glenn Erickson said. “They’re a little bit bigger and a little bit heavier duty than the one they’re replacing." The two new ambulances are set to replace two of the department’s reserve ambulances that are roughly 8 years old. “Arguably, the life span is about eight years and that's when they’re replaced,” Erickson said. Erickson added the department expects the two new vehicles to last for about 10 years. “This is a different type of vehicle than what we’re …
Thursday, November 8, 2012
Firefighters from Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove will hit the court to take on the Chicago Wheelchair Bulls Saturday, Nov. 10.
Arlington Heights and Buffalo Grove firefighters will join forces to face the Chicago Wheelchair Bulls in a charity basketball game in the village this weekend. Local firefighters tipoff against the Wheelchair Bulls at 7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 10 at Miner Middle School. Doors open at 6 p.m. and there will also be silent auction table, raffle prizes, food and baked goods for sale inside the school at 1101 E. Miner Street in Arlington Heights. Tickets will be sold at the door on the day of the event, $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and students, and $3 for children. Sponsored by the Commission for Residents with Disabilities, the event will raise money for the Wheelchair Bulls and awareness for the team’s cause. Made up of players from Chicago …
Tuesday, October 30, 2012
Diesel fuel spill prompts level 1 HazMat response in Arlington Heights Monday.
Arlington Heights emergency crews were called to the Kennicott Industrial Complex in response to a Level 1 hazardous materials situation after a diesel spill Monday afternoon. “Anytime fuel is spilled it’s a HazMat,” said Arlington Heights Fire Cmdr. Randy Borre. “There was no real risk of explosion,” Borre said, “Diesel is not as volatile as gasoline.” According to the fire department, about 25 to 30 gallons of diesel fuel poured out of the bottom of a refrigerated semi truck and into a parking lot on the 3100 block of N. Kennicott Avenue. “There was not a lot of fuel in the parking lot when we got there,” said said Borre, “Most of it managed to get into the sewers.” After making a delivery to the ICEE Company in Arlington Heights, a semi…