With Halloween creeping into town in less than three weeks, Village of Arlington Heights officials are reminding residents to be safe.
While Halloween is a fun time of year, they say it is important to keep safety in mind. Below are some tips from the Arlington Heights Police Department on how to have a safe and enjoyable Halloween.
- Younger ‘trick or treaters’ should always be accompanied by an adult. Establish neighborhood boundaries and a curfew for older family members.
- Inspect all treats before eating them.
- Costumes should be flame resistant, made of bright or reflective material that does not impede the child's ability to walk.
- Masks that interfere with a child's ability to see can be very dangerous, please make sure that your child can clearly see side to side.
- Cross a street at the corner, preferably in a marked crosswalk. Use a flashlight to increase visibility.
- Unfortunately, some interpret Halloween as a night of mischief. Parents are asked to review acceptable behavior with their children. Know the route your children are taking.
- Take a moment to examine your property for hazards. Remove any unsecured implements that may cause a child to trip and fall.